Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Thirty by Thirty, in retrospect...


The following is an old blog post with goals for thirty.  My notes indicate exactly how well each one went : )

 

Wednesday, June 2, 2010


Thirty by thirty.


Inspired by the blog musings of Mrs. Jessica Moore, I have decided to compile my own goal list. My thirtieth birthday will be August 25, 2011. This gives me 14 months to do the following. This list is in no particular order, by the way.

30. Be one semester away from completing my graduate degree (M.Ed in Guidance and Counseling)
*** DONE! Finished December 2011!

29. Keep better lesson plans at work / be more organized, results will be subjective, but I'll know.
*** Better than where I was, but still needs work.

28. Complete kitchen projects- redo the floor, re-stain the cabinets, fourth light in place
*** Painted cabinets and they look fabulous! Put up a back splash that I think looks great!

27. survive potty training
*** Ummm, this is STILL a work in progress, but going okay...

26. Be two dress sizes smaller than I am right now
*** Bummer, I came so close.  I am down about 9 lbs / 1 dress size, but working one it!

25. learn to crochet- more than basic and do it to blow off steam sometimes
*** I can't say I have learned how to do anything fancy, but I did crochet over Christmas break!

24. accomplish massive garage clean out
***Did a pretty good job on this one!  Perfect?  No, but purged a lot!

23. win a decent scholarship in graduate school
*** Done!  I won a foundation scholarship- probably the most $$$ a grad student can win : )

22. cook better (again, results will be subjective, but I'll know)
*** I've made progress here.  I've learned to be a little more creative with food and use the crock pot   more!

21. save $200 per month for school
*** Well, I managed to graduate debt free, so I'll just chalk that up to a win!

20. paint and patch the ceilings in my home
*** This did not happen; I confess.

19. purge unneeded junk that is hiding in my house
*** I've made a ton of progress here and I am still working!

18. learn to play a couple of kids' songs on the guitar for Claire
*** I am laughing at myself for thinking I would have time to do this.  I wrote this as a grad
student : )

17. get pregnant again- but not quite yet, thank you ; ) (I still have those two dress sizes to lose first!)
*** This one is a tough one.  Yes, there will be another Ross baby in the future.  However, I feel God has called me to accomplish a few things first.  My goal of three years apart has changed.  This has been a challenge, but I know God has a plan for it.  I cannot stress because it will happen.

16. get all prerequisites together to obtain my LPC
*** I have 3 credit hours toward this and need to officially apply to the board!

15. read 3 classic novels I have otherwise missed.
*** Another thing that makes me laugh- thinking I would have time while I was working on my grad degree, fixing up my house, parenting, crocheting, etc.!  I am so funny ; )

14. practice self control with eating 97% of the time
*** I've made progress here, but it is a journey, not a destination, so I hope to strengthen and improve my progress.

13. go out on more dates with my husband
*** I've made some progress here, but more is needed.  I definitely appreciate him more.

12. lose any guilt
*** I feel pretty good about this one!  I've worked hard to accept and appreciate!

11. grow out my hair again- without being ridiculous- make efforts to enjoy and preserve my youthful appearance while I still have it! I always look at picture of my mom with me when I was young and think- she looks great! I want Claire to think that too. Again, not obsessed with appearance, just appreciative of God's gift of youth while I still have it and to be happy with my appearance ; )
*** Done!  Love my long hair- working on a more fit figure to go with it!

10. become more involved in my church- where I have slacked off as of late. I admit it.
*** A little bit of progress.  A few things to consider here...

9. own a 21st century phone- I hold out because I am too cheap, but eventually, I'd like to own a smart phone with GPS or any needed info at my fingertips. Sheesh- this is too stupid to be a real goal. I will call this one # 9, then give myself a 9.5 to make up for it.
*** Done! Michael got me an iPhone for my birthday!  Boy do I love that GPS!

9.5. maintain a G.P.A. art or above 3.7 (did I redeem myself with 9.5?)
*** Done!  Graduated with 3.8 GPA!

8. create and adhere to a cleaning / chores chart in our home (sorry, Michael- this includes you)
*** Weeeellllll....

7. Be more comfortable with where I am over where I think I should be.
*** Done!  I think I covered this in my blog It's a Trap!

6. put a picture in the frame on my mantle that has has the stock photo in it since we got married- 5 years ago. Yes, that's right, I've displayed a frame on my mantle with the picture that came with it for 5 years now. Nice.
*** Done!  The preceding picture of my sweet girl is in that frame!

7. enter the toddler years with love and patience
*** Hahaha! What did I even mean here?!  Most of the time, I think I do well here.  However, who is perfect in this arena?

6. Print photographs an place in albums in a timely manner. ( The last pictures I have printed are from last October!)
*** This did not happen.  I guess I am a leave hundreds of pics on your computer and never print them sort of girl!

5. In light of my perfectionism, go easier on myself.
*** Mostly, I feel successful here.  I still expect myself to be super woman!

4. spend less money on things that are not fun to spend money on (i.e. find resourceful ways to reduce expenses like my grocery bill!)

*** Not so much.  I do collect points on my credit card- does that count?!

3. Go on road trips. Claire is of an age where I feel we can survive 3-5 hours in a car.
*** C and I are going to Texas to see Jill and Mara next month!  Three hours in the car with a toddler- here we come!

2. hold office in an organization that means something to me
*** HACT president, SOSCA secretary = done! (Now, time to give myself a break!)

1. have faith in general, doubt less, worry less, enjoy more.
*** I feel good about this.  My faith is my rock.  Jer. 29:11

It occurs to me that these goals may not be 'glamorous', but they are all worthy to me. I am going to challenge myself to visit these goals when I turn 30 and tell you all how it has gone! Accountability, right? Then, I can set the next set of goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment