Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Fictional Heroes

Michael and I like to watch shows together, after Claire goes to bed.  You know, the kind where the plot doesn't revolve around singing, dancing animals? This is our hang out time- and being the nerds we are, we discuss the plot points and character motivations, etc.  We have done this with The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, and, recently, Friday Night Lights.  When Michael picked this, I rolled over and occupied myself with other things.  Football?  The only time I care about football is when I have students playing.  Why would I want to watch a show about football?  Several episodes in, I was still unconvinced- when, suddenly, I was gripped!  I can't pinpoint how it drew me, but how it kept me? Two words: Tami Taylor.  The wife of the football coach.  She was not written to be a 'behind the scenes coach's wife'.  She was written as a nurturing mother, loving wife, AND successful / ambition career woman.  That's right, no 'supporting- stands behind her man only' sort of lady.  A lady of substance!  I think I was very drawn to the concept of the consummate working mother- who happens to be a guidance counselor (imagine that!) and an administrator.  We missed the show entirely while it was running, but all seasons can be found on Netflix and streamed.

I stumbled on this article online the other day, which I stole from here.  Hope you enjoy another mom's take.  She may be a fictional hero, but I enjoyed cheering for a character who truly seemed to relate to me on several levels. 


10 REASONS TAMI TAYLOR IS THE MOM I WANT TO BE

Nothing made me happier this week than hearing the news that Connie Britton -- who plays Tami Taylor on "Friday Night Lights" -- was nominated for an Emmy.
Tamy Taylor
NBC
Tami Taylor is a woman who not only makes me laugh, cry and love, but, since I'm a mom-to-be myself, she makes me feel that I want to be exactly like her when I become a mom.
For those of you who are not familiar with "Friday Night Lights," I urge you: Go to Netflix immediately and order the back seasons. Yes, I am a superfan, but truly, it is the best show on television. It's about so much more than football -- it's about family.
Tami is the coach's wife and principal of Dillon High. She is a beautifully complex character. I watch season after season and constantly think to myself, "Ooh! I've got to remember that when I'm a mom." Now that I'm only three months away from having my own daughter, I hope I can channel Tami Taylor as my child goes from the crib to college.
As a shout-out (and congratulations) to Connie Britton, I hereby present the ten reasons why Tami Taylor is the mom I want to be:
Tamy Taylor
1) Tami is a strong, successful career woman -- a role model to her daughter!
Sure, she deals with a ton of crap as principal of Dillon High. But she has managed to support her husband (she picked up and moved where his job landed him) while still lifting her own career to new heights. (She went from guidance counselor to school principal.)
2) Other kids turn to Tami for help.
I love that Tami is someone the teens in the series feel safe going to for help. Everyone from Tyra Collette (Adrianne Palicki), the town bad girl who turned her life around to go to college, to Matt Saracen (Zach Gilford), whose father died in the war, has received some loving from Mrs. Taylor!
3) Tami is beyond in love with her husband -- and isn't afraid to show that to her kids.
I know kids do not want to see their parents make out, but I do want to be able to kiss and hold hands with my husband without worrying what my kids think. I love that Tami is physically affectionate.
Tamy Taylor
NBC
4) She is an all-encompassing listener.
There's never CrackBerry in sight when you've got time with the coach's wife.
5) She miraculously says the right thing at the right time.
Tami is the queen of the perfect inspiring line. This season, when Tami took her daughter, Julie, for a college visit, she had the perfect comeback when Julie told her that going to Boston College was her mother's dream, not hers. Tami explained that she has her family, and therefore her dream has come true; now she wants to do everything she can to help her daughter's dream come true. (Sniff, sniff.)
6) She is 100 percent honest with her daughter.
When Julie disappoints Tami, Tami always tells her. She is honest with her emotions and always explains why Julie has let her down.
7) She's one tough lady!
Those jerk-face football guys in the Dillon High Booster Club are always giving Tami sh*t, but she's not afraid. She always brings it -- with an extra jab, too!
Tamy Taylor
NBC
8) She loves her wine!
I'm not saying that as a mother I want to be a boozer, but Tami knows how to take care of herself, and I think that's important. You have to enjoy the simple pleasures, right? A date night with the television and a glass of Chardonnay is sometimes the best therapy.
9) She's her family's biggest cheerleader!
Miss a Friday night game or a school event? No way! I hope I can motivate my family like Tami does hers. Her slogan in (and out) of the locker room is, "Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose!"
10) She is one hot mama! 
OK, I know this is superficial, but I hope I age half as well as Mrs. Taylor! Can we puhleese find out what kind of skin care this woman is using?!

No comments:

Post a Comment